Have you or someone you love been struggling with mental health issues and addiction? Whether your loved one is a current patient at an inpatient facility, looking for alternative treatment plans, or seeking reinforcements to earlier treatment methods, a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) may be a step toward progress. The benefits of PHP can provide those suffering from variations of mental health and substance abuse problems with relief — it creates healing opportunities through psychological assessment, medication management, therapeutic interventions, and lifestyle changes while supporting social reintegration. But what does partial hospitalization mean, exactly?
What Is a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)?
A partial hospitalization program (PHP) is an intensive outpatient treatment for those struggling with mental health issues and/or addiction. It provides a structured, comprehensive approach to recovery that offers more than traditional outpatient care as it combines medical care, therapy, and lifestyle education into one therapeutic package. These programs are designed to help individuals establish healthy coping skills while also reintegrating them back into the community after inpatient treatment or other life changes.
The PHP experience typically takes place over several weeks with frequent visits each week — usually around three to four hours each day. The length of stay depends on the individual’s needs and their ability to make progress in their recovery journey. It utilizes evidence-based tools such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), problem-solving strategies, and other psychosocial interventions to help patients better manage their symptoms.
PHP provides an opportunity for individuals to access comprehensive care without the interruption of daily life activities like work or school. It is an option that can provide more intensive treatment while still allowing individuals to live in their own environment. By offering a partial hospitalization program, you may be able to find the balance necessary for long-term recovery and wellness — all while receiving support from experienced mental health professionals.
Who Should Consider a PHP Program?
Partial hospitalization programs are designed for individuals who need more intensive treatment than traditional outpatient care can provide but do not require the full-time, residential structure of an inpatient program.
PHP is also beneficial for those who have recently completed an inpatient stay and may be looking for additional support as they transition into their daily lives and routines. It is also an option for those who have been struggling with mental health issues or addiction but are not ready to commit to the full-time structure of inpatient treatment.
It is important to consult with a doctor, therapist, or addiction specialist before committing to any partial hospitalization program, as every individual’s needs are different and should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
How Do PHP Programs Work, and What Do They Include?
Partial hospitalization programs typically include both medication management and individualized therapeutic sessions. These programs focus on helping individuals better manage their mental health symptoms while also teaching them healthy coping skills to use in everyday life.
Comprehensive partial hospitalization programs are designed to provide an individual with the necessary support and resources they need to succeed. This includes:
- Addiction and Mental Health Education: Patients will learn about the effects various substances and mental health conditions have on the body, as well as how to better manage their symptoms.
- Aftercare Development Planning: Patients will develop an aftercare plan to ensure they have the necessary resources and support to continue their recovery journey once the partial hospitalization program is complete.
- Case Management Services: Patients will meet with a case manager to discuss their progress, set reasonable goals, and learn how to access community services that may be beneficial.
- Clinically Developed Curriculum: Patients will be provided with an individualized curriculum that meets their specific needs and helps them develop new coping skills.
- Family Program: Partial hospitalization programs often include a family program to help families understand the process of recovery and how they can best support their loved one in healing.
- Group Therapy & Counseling: Patients will also have access to group therapy and counseling sessions, which may include cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), problem-solving strategies, and other psychosocial interventions.
- Holistic Approaches: In a partial hospitalization program, patients may also have the opportunity to participate in holistic activities such as yoga, mindfulness practice, art therapy, and other activities that can help with physical, emotional, and spiritual healing.
- Individual Therapy: Patients will also have regular individual therapy sessions with a mental health professional to discuss their progress and address any issues that may arise.
- Medical Services: Partial hospitalization programs may provide medical services such as medication management, psychiatric evaluations, and physical health screenings.
- Medication Management: Patients may also receive medication management services to ensure they are taking the right medications in the most effective way.
Although partial hospitalization programs can be beneficial for many individuals, there are some risks associated with enrolling in one or returning to traditional outpatient treatment after completing one.
For example, due to the intensive nature of partial hospitalization programs, some individuals may struggle to adjust to a lower level of care when returning to traditional outpatient treatment. Additionally, it is important for patients to understand that partial hospitalization does not guarantee success in recovery; rather, it provides an individual with the resources and support they need to better manage their symptoms on their own.
For these reasons, it is important for individuals considering a partial hospitalization program or returning to traditional outpatient treatment after completing one to speak with a doctor or mental health professional about their options.
Comprehensive Partial Hospitalization Program in Chattanooga, TN
Iris Wellness Group provides partial hospitalization programs in Chattanooga, TN that are designed to provide individuals with the necessary resources and support they need to succeed in their recovery journey. Our partial hospitalization program combines evidence-based therapies with holistic approaches to help individuals develop healthy coping skills and manage their mental health symptoms.
At Iris Wellness Group, we strive to ensure each patient has a personalized treatment experience that meets their individual needs and goals. Whether you or your loved one is struggling with addiction or a mental health disorder, our partial hospitalization program can provide the comprehensive care needed for lasting results. Contact us today to learn more about our partial hospitalization program.