Addiction is a common problem that a lot of people go through. However, people suffering from drug or alcohol addiction go through more than just physical and mental health problems. They also face social stigma and isolation, making it harder to seek help if they struggle with substance abuse disorder and don’t know what to do. However, it is important to understand that there’s hope, and with the proper treatment and support, they can recover from their substance use disorder.
Here’s what you need to do if you or your loved ones suffer from addiction.
Think about change
The first step towards addiction recovery is understanding that you are addicted and in a bad situation and that you need to get out of it. When you take this step, you can start thinking about the means to seek help. Consider how addiction is negatively impacting your life to stay motivated about recovery.
Explore your addiction treatment options
Once you make up your mind about recovery, the next thing is to find the proper treatment for your disorder. There are several treatment methods for addiction. They include:
- Detoxification: It is the first step where all the drugs in your system are removed. During detoxification, you must go through withdrawal, which can take about 7 to 10 days.
- Behavioral counseling: You will also get behavioral counseling through individual, group, and family therapies.
- Medication: You may also require medications to treat withdrawal symptoms and other underlying health conditions during your recovery period.
- Long-term follow-up: Once the initial recovery stage is reached, you will need to continue follow-ups and go for group meetings to help maintain your sobriety.
Consider treatment programs
Now that you know your treatment options, you need to consider the treatment program you want to join. Your healthcare professional can help you determine the best program for you. Different programs that you can opt for include:
- Residential inpatient treatment: In such programs, you stay at the rehab facility for the entire duration of your treatment.
- Partial hospitalization: In such programs, you can work and live at home but come to the facility to attend sessions and meetings but don’t stay overnight.
- Outpatient treatment: They are scheduled to meet your work and study schedules.
- Sober living communities: In such programs, you follow an intensive routine and live in a specific facility during your addiction. Such communities benefit those who feel that returning home can lead to relapse.
Find support for your recovery
If you want to succeed in your recovery process, it is essential to have a support group that can encourage you to keep going when you feel like quitting. It can be your friends, family members, spouse, sponsors, or other people you have met at rehab. Having them is essential for your recovery journey.
About Iris Wellness Group/Chattanooga Drug & Alcohol Rehab
If you or your loved ones are struggling with drug abuse or mental health, Iris Wellness Group will help you. We believe everyone deserves a second chance, and finances should stop no one from getting medical help. So we accept most major insurances. Our Chattanooga recovery centers offer treatments for all kinds of substance abuse and mental health disorders. You can reach out to us at 423-541-0656 or fill out our contact form to learn more about our Chattanooga rehabilitation centers. Get your free insurance verification here.