Think about changeThe first step towards addiction recovery is understanding that you are addicted and in a bad situation and that you need to get out of it. When you take this step, you can start thinking about the means to seek help. Consider how addiction is negatively impacting your life to stay motivated about recovery.
Explore your addiction treatment optionsOnce you make up your mind about recovery, the next thing is to find the proper treatment for your disorder. There are several treatment methods for addiction. They include:
- Detoxification: It is the first step where all the drugs in your system are removed. During detoxification, you must go through withdrawal, which can take about 7 to 10 days.
- Behavioral counseling: You will also get behavioral counseling through individual, group, and family therapies.
- Medication: You may also require medications to treat withdrawal symptoms and other underlying health conditions during your recovery period.
- Long-term follow-up: Once the initial recovery stage is reached, you will need to continue follow-ups and go for group meetings to help maintain your sobriety.
Consider treatment programsNow that you know your treatment options, you need to consider the treatment program you want to join. Your healthcare professional can help you determine the best program for you. Different programs that you can opt for include:
- Residential inpatient treatment: In such programs, you stay at the rehab facility for the entire duration of your treatment.
- Partial hospitalization: In such programs, you can work and live at home but come to the facility to attend sessions and meetings but don’t stay overnight.
- Outpatient treatment: They are scheduled to meet your work and study schedules.
- Sober living communities: In such programs, you follow an intensive routine and live in a specific facility during your addiction. Such communities benefit those who feel that returning home can lead to relapse.