Addiction is a disease with no cure yet; it can be managed with recovery. Many people consider completing rehab as recovery. However., recovery goes beyond the in-patient treatment at the rehab. You must also enroll in an aftercare program to complete your recovery and avoid relapse. They are an integral part of your recovery journey.
Here is everything you need to know about aftercare programs.
What is aftercare?
An aftercare treatment in drug recovery is similar to a discharge plan from a hospital for chronic disease. Aftercare program helps an individual adjust from rehab to their new home environment without going back to abusing substances. It includes developing a lifestyle outside rehab while maintaining your sobriety.
What are the components of an effective aftercare plan?
Creating an effective aftercare plan involves combining resources and developing a plan that suits your individual needs. However, the most common components of an aftercare plan are:
- Moving into a sober living home for the time being
- Shifting from an in-patient program to an intensive outpatient program
- Going to individual and group therapy sessions
- Attending recovery meetings such as AA meetings or twelve-step programs
- Finding a sponsor or mentor
- Establishing a support system to lean on after the treatment
- Checking in with your counselor or case manager
What are the benefits of going to an aftercare program?
There are several benefits of going to aftercare. The most prominent ones are:
- Know more about their addiction: Once an individual is out of recovery, they have the clarity of mind to look beyond addiction. You can look for reasons that led to it and work through them to resolve the problem at the core level.
- Relapse prevention: What makes aftercare necessary is the high chances of relapse people have when they get out of in-patient rehab. The change in the environment makes it hard to adjust, and most people start using it again. The aftercare program provides the necessary support to prevent that.
- Access to mental healthcare: Addiction is often a result of various underlying mental problems such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, and insomnia. Some mental health diseases also develop due to the regular use of drugs. However, recovery is about treating the person as a whole and not just about addiction. Aftercare programs provide the necessary treatment for such underlying diseases so individuals can live better lives.
- Ongoing help in maintaining recovery: Recovery is a lifelong challenge, as a person can relapse at any moment of weakness. Aftercare program helps individuals develop a support system they can rely on during their weak times. It reduces the chances of relapse and builds a future support system.
About Iris Wellness Group/Chattanooga Drug & Alcohol Rehab
If you or your loved ones are struggling with drug abuse or mental health disorders, Iris Wellness Group is here to help you. We believe everyone deserves a second chance, and finances should stop no one from getting medical help. So we accept most major insurances. Our Tennessee recovery center offers treatments for various substance abuse and mental health disorders. You can reach out to us at 423-541-0656 or fill out our contact form to know more. Get your free insurance verification here.